Printable Student View
- Why did officials in the United States feel some hostility to the Soviet Union in the 1930s?
- Soviet factories were a major source of air pollution throughout the world.
- The Soviet Union was helping Adolf Hitler to spread Nazism to other countries.
- The Soviet Union was damaging U.S. agriculture because of the efficiency of its farms.
- The Soviet Union had the goal of establishing communism throughout the entire world.
- Why did Soviet leaders distrust Great Britain and the United States in the 1930s?
- Great Britain and the United States had nuclear weapons.
- Great Britain and the United States had an anti-Soviet alliance with Germany.
- Great Britain and the United States passed laws to keep their citizens from purchasing Soviet agricultural and industrial products.
- Great Britain and the United States were so hostile to communism that they invaded Russia to oppose communists around the time when World War I ended.
- What led the Soviet Union to join with Great Britain and the United States to become allies during much of World War II?
- German military forces invaded the Soviet Union in 1941.
- Communist thinkers changed their theories of capitalism during the 1940s.
- The people of the Soviet Union elected a new leader who had more trust for Great Britain and the United States.
- The Soviet Union wanted to gain more business for its companies and could sell lots of its products to Great Britain and the United States.
- For what purpose was the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) formed?
- To unite the nations of Eastern Europe in a military alliance
- To establish a western military alliance to contain communism
- To send American economic and military aid to Eastern Europe
- To encourage the spread of democracy in the Western Hemisphere
- Answer the questions:
- Why was this conflict between the East and West called the Cold War?
- Explain a difference in the eastern and western perspectives of the Cold War.
- What did the Soviet Union do following World War II that alarmed the United States and Great Britain? Fill in all three boxes for each question.
||What action did the Soviet Union take that alarmed the United States and Great Britain?
||Why did the Soviet Union take that action?
||Why did the Soviet Union’s action alarm the United States and Great Britain?
Additional Formative Assessment