- Why is public service important in a democracy?
To be responsible members of their communities, citizens can volunteer their services to help improve their communities. Citizens can offer their knowledge and talents to different local organizations or committees. Participation in town meetings, public hearings, and community projects are important for community improvement and for finding out the problems that need to be solved.
Cub Scout Troop picks up litter
Problems don’t get solved without people. Who are the people in your community who volunteer their services and participate in community improvement?
Create a class mural depicting public service/community service in your community.
Using Problem Solving to Find a Solution to a Community Problem
As students identify a problem/issue and explore solutions have them “keep notes” through the following steps:
- Have students work in collaborative groups to brainstorm issues of concern to them and their community. Have students come to consensus on the most important issue.
- Have students talk about this issue and possible solutions.
- Have them use the Internet to research possible solutions to this issue, especially if they are struggling to come up with plausible solutions.
- Have them use their interviewing skills to interview family and community members about their ideas for a possible solution to this issue.
- Have students fill in the Best Solution and Why Chart using their notes.