Health Education is a unique and separate academic discipline. It influences individual, family, and societal development, knowledge, attitudes and behavior and seeks the improvement of individual, family and community health. Health education helps individuals seek that which moves them toward optimal stages of wellness. It means also to aid individuals and families in overcoming the debilitating effects of economic deprivation, the lack of balance, disease and accidents of life.
Mission of Health Education
The mission of health education is to motivate young people to maintain and improve their health, prevent disease, and avoid or reduce health-related risk behaviors. It is the role of the health educator to provide young people with the knowledge and skills they need to be healthy for a lifetime and to utilize these health enhancing skills as a means for achieving life’s goals.
The National Health Education Standards states:
- Standard 1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
- Standard 2: Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology and other factors on health behaviors.
- Standard 3: Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health.
- Standard 4: Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance and avoid or reduce health risks.
- Standard 5: Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
- Standard 6: Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
- Standard 7: Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
- Standard 8: Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family and community health.
SAVE THE DATE
November 5-7, 2023
Lincoln Cornhusker Marriott
Physical Education and Health Education
Nebraska Department of Education
500 S. 84th St., 2nd floor
Lincoln, NE 68510-2611