Skills and Best Practices
The Jigsaw Classroom
Cooperative learning strategies are important tools in the teacher’s instructional bag of tricks. Jigsaw is just one of these strategies. The jigsaw classroom provides you with all the information you will need to implement this strategy in your classroom.
- Overview of the technique
- History of the jigsaw classroom
- Jigsaw in 10 easy steps
- Tips on implementation
- Suggested books and articles
Trends in Social Studies
There are three important trends in social studies. (A link to more information regarding the trends needs to be added.)
- Trend 1: History, History, and More History
- Trend 3: Using Literature to Teach Social Studies
- Trend 10: Writing, Writing, and more Writing
This activity provides you with the opportunity to provide experiences for your students in each of these areas.
Select a cartoon from a daily newspaper and use the attached worksheet to model how to analyze a cartoon. Be sure students take the cartoon analysis worksheet with them when they go to their expert group.
|U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
Cartoon Analysis Worksheet