Activity 1: Formative Assessment
- Which group used the principle of mercantilism during the 16th and the 18th centuries to guide its political and economic actions?
- The North American colonies
- European governments
- What was the main reason that England imposed additional economic policies upon its colonies?
- Involvement in the French and Indian War
- Increased competition in England for business
- European competition in markets with England
- More ships being built and needing to pay for them.
- What acts did England place upon the colonies in an attempt to generate more revenue from taxes in the years following 1763 and the end of the French and Indian war?
- What are some examples of the colonists resorting to a variety of tactics to protest British laws imposing taxes upon them?
- What were the advantages and disadvantages that the colonists needed to consider in their decision whether to rebel or to remain members of the British Empire?