What is Team Nutrition?
Team Nutrition is an initiative of the USDA Food and Nutrition Service to support the Child Nutrition Programs through training and technical assistance for food service, nutrition education for children an
d their caregivers, and school and community support for healthy eating and physical activity. Team Nutrition is an integrated, behavior-based, comprehensive plan for promoting the nutritional health of the Nation’s school children. This plan involves schools, parents, and the community in efforts to continuously improve school meals and to promote the health and education of school children. Team Nutrition encourages kids to make the following healthy choices:
- Eat a variety of foods
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Eat lower fat foods more often
- Get your calcium-rich foods
- Be physically active
Team Nutrition has three behavior-focused strategies:
- Provide training and technical assistance to Child Nutrition food service professionals to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students.
- Promote nutrition curriculum and education in schools through multiple communication channels to reinforce positive nutrition messages and encourage students to make healthy food and physical activity choices as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Build school and community support for creating healthy school environments that are conducive to healthy eating and physical activity.
Team Nutrition Team
Zainab Rida, PhD, RD, LMNT
Team Nutrition Project Director