Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
Funding for the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) is available for the 2021-2022 school year through the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-234). The program is designed to help create healthier school environments and combat childhood obesity. The FFVP expands the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience, increases their fruit and vegetable consumption, and can positively impact their present and future health.
Funds provided to each school cover the costs associated with administering the program, including the cost of food, labor, supplies, and equipment. Nebraska will be awarded a specified amount for the grant period of July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022. The grant will be awarded to schools in two parts: July 1 – September 30, 2021 and October 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022.
Awarded schools offer fresh fruits and vegetables to students, at no cost to the students, during the school day. Schools must establish an implementation plan that includes service methods and frequency (serving a minimum of two days a week), integration of nutrition education, FFVP marketing and promotion and overall program administration and monitoring.
Schools with the highest enrollment of students eligible for free and reduced-price meals are given priority for participation in the FFVP based on the school data reported each October. To meet eligibility for the program, schools must:
- Be an elementary school.
- Represent the highest percentage of students certified for free and reduced-price benefits (at least 50 percent of enrolled students).
- Participate in the National School Lunch Program.
- Complete the FFVP application each year (available at the end of each school year, for the following school year).
Funding to each school is based on the school’s enrollment for the participating grades. Per student allocation for the 2021-2022 school year is $50-$54. Schools that participate more than two times per week will be receiving $51-$54 per student; while the schools that serve two times a week will receive $50/student.
- FFVP Slides
- FFVP Training Material
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Handbook
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable – A Resource Guide
- Time Certification Worksheet
- Produce Safety
- What’s in Season
- Promoting Fruits and Vegetable in School Environments