Mountain Plains Crunch
2020 Crunch Off
*NEW* 2020 Crunch Resources
- 2020 Crunch Off Resource Sheet for Producers
- Communication Tools for Crunch Off Participants
- Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska Crunch Off Page
- Download the Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska 2020 Crunch Off List of Producers
- Register today to receive the 2020 Mountain Plains Crunch Off Tool Kit
Where to find LOCAL apples or crunch-worthy produce
Check out our ideas for finding local on the NDE Farm to School Resources page
- Explore the Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska Online Food Guide…. Reach out directly to anyone listed in that guide
- Utilize Nebraska MarketMaker to locate suppliers selling crunchable items, like apples, carrots, turnips, and broccoli . What local produce will you Crunch into in 2020?
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture Produce Grower & Farmers Market Finder…. Visit your local farmers’ market, or directly contact the Market Manager to see about what connections you can make to growers in your community
- Purchase from local producers through your broadline distributor, or through a local foods distributor like Lone Tree Foods, Nebraska Food Cooperative, or Farm Table Delivery
- Review these stories about Nebraska schools and producers that are invested in farm to school
Crunch Off with Nebraska Thursdays or Nebraska Harvest of the Month!
- Celebrate Nebraska Thursdays during October and add your local Crunch Off product into your menu!
- Crunch with Harvest of the Month! Try a local salad turnip or a crunchy cabbage coleslaw. Build momentum for your Crunch Off event by sending home a Harvest of the Month newsletter available on the Harvest of the Month webpage.
- Register for Nebraska Thursdays and visit our recipe portal for a hummus recipe (uses local dry beans!) that you can dip Crunch items into.
- Download the Harvest of the Month Taste Test Guide for tips on sampling your Crunch Off item prior to the big day.
- See what’s in season in Nebraska, and crunch-able, with our handy guide!
- Check out the resources available at National Farm to School Network.
2019 Crunch Off
2019 Crunch Off
Nebraska participated in the multi-state CRUNCH OFF with Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming. The state with the most “CRUNCHES” per capita by biting into local, crunchy fruits and vegetables, wins the 2019 Crunch Off Competition. Students, teachers, farmers, parents, community members and local food enthusiasts celebrated farm to school month and the seasonally available produce offered in Nebraska. #MountainPlainsCrunch
CRUNCH Into Local Produce
Try these delicious dips with your crunchable foods! Find more ideas in our Nebraska Thursdays recipe portal.