Nebraska Crunch Off
Congratulations, Nebraska, for winning the Crunch off Championship for the 4th year in a row!
Thank you to all who participated in the 2022 Nebraska Crunch Off! Almost 70,000 students, community members, and teachers crunched into Nebraska-grown products including apples, peppers, and celery root, while celebrating local food and farm to school programs throughout Nebraska! Approximately 3.59% of Nebraska’s population participated in the 2022 Crunch Off, including the largest crunch event at Omaha Public Schools with 31,200 participants! Let’s keep the momentum going, Nebraska! Continue highlighting local produce from all sources and in all forms throughout programs and within your communities!
Auburn Head Start – SENCA
Aurora High School – Ag Department
Banner County School
Broken Bow FFA
Burwell Public Schools
Busy Feet Childcare Inc.
Cathedral of the Risen Christ School
Central Valley Public School
Chase’s Child Care Corner
Christ Lincoln School
Crete Public School
East Butler Public School
Educational Service Center #6
Elba Public Schools
ESU 8 Clearwater Learning Center
Garden County Schools, Garden County FFA, Garden County 4-H
Gretna Public Schools
Individual Day Care Home
Individual Home childcare
Kid’s Place Childcare
Lincoln Public Schools
Little Pirates Daycare
Lourdes Central Catholic
Mrs. Creech’s 5th Grade
Nebraska Department of Education
Nelson Mandela Early Childcare Development Center
Omaha Public Schools
Papillion La Vista Community Schools
Pius X High School
Saint Anthony School
Sarpy County/ ESU #3 Head Start
Schuyler Community Schools
Senca Nebraska City Full Day Head Start
St. Leonard School
Sutton Public Schools
The Valley Child Development Center
Tri County Schools
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension- Food, Nutrition & Health Team
Walthill Public School
Weeping Water Public School
2022 Crunch Resources
- 2022 Crunch Off Resource Sheet for Producers
- Communication Tools for Crunch Off Participants
- Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska Crunch Off Page
- Download the Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska 2022 Crunch Off List of Producers
- 2022 Nebraska Crunch Coloring Pages
- 2022 Nebraska Crunch Postcard REGISTER
- 2022 Nebraska Crunch Postcard Fillable
- School District Challenge (template)
- Crunch Stats
- Crunch Off Info (Powerpoint slides)
- Teaching Food Justice Through the Crunch, a resource from the Midwest Crunch Off planning team
Crunch Off with Nebraska Thursdays or Nebraska Harvest of the Month!
- Celebrate Nebraska Thursdays during October and add your local Crunch Off product into your menu!
- Crunch with Harvest of the Month! Try a local salad turnip or a crunchy cabbage coleslaw. Build momentum for your Crunch Off event by sending home a Harvest of the Month newsletter available on the Harvest of the Month webpage.
- Register for Nebraska Thursdays and visit our recipe portal for a hummus recipe (uses local dry beans!) that you can dip Crunch items into.
- Download the Harvest of the Month Taste Test Guide for tips on sampling your Crunch Off item prior to the big day.
- See what’s in season in Nebraska, and crunch-able, with our handy guide!
- Check out the resources available at National Farm to School Network.
Where to find LOCAL apples or crunch-worthy produce
Check out our ideas for finding local on the NDE Farm to School Resources page
Try these delicious dips with your crunchable foods!
2021 Crunch Off Champions!
Great news to share! Nebraska has once again been named the Crunch Off Champion! Yes, you heard it right, Nebraska won the 2021 Mountain Plains Crunch Off with the most crunches per capita! A total of 58,123 participants (3% of Nebraska’s population) crunched on apples, carrots, peppers, even roasted pumpkin seeds to perform this amazing feat for the third year in a row! Schools including higher education, organizations, businesses, day care centers, and individuals all across the state participated in the Crunch. In this picture, we see a group of excited students at Overton Public School crunching away!
We also had fun crunching at the Nebraska Department of Education, shown here.
2021 Crunch Off
We are pleased to announce that Nebraska was the reigning Mountain Plains Region Crunch Off Champion in 2019, 2020, & 2021!
Mountain Plains Crunch Off 2021 Highlights
- 199,169 people registered in the Mountain Plains Region
- 58,123 were from Nebraska
- 3% of Nebraska’s population registered
- 2021 had 4,018 participants ages 1-5