The Professional Standards for school nutrition professionals became effective on July 1, 2015 and is a key provision of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA). The rule, published March 2, 2015, requires a minimum amount of annual training hours for school nutrition program directors, managers, and staff. Required training topic areas will vary according to position and job requirements. There are, also, minimum hiring standards for school nutrition program directors.
- Summary of Professional Standards – New standards for school nutrition professionals informational flyer
- 2019 Professional Standards Training Requirements – This document addresses training requirements and includes links to a number of continuing education resources.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- USDA Professional Standards
- USDA Database of Professional Standards Training
- This site allows school nutrition staff to search for training that meets their learning needs.
- School Nutrition Association (SNA) USDA Professional Standards Hub – SNA has created the following resources to assist you with understanding the new requirements.
- Professional Standard Training Guidelines – SNA May 2016
- Nutrition Services School Lunch Training – Workshops and online training from the Nutrition Services staff
- HACCP & Food Safety Training
- Tools for tracking year to date hours, created by NDE Nutrition Services