Professional Standards for school nutrition professionals become effective on July 1, 2015 and is a key provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA). The rule, published March 2, 2015, requires a minimum amount of annual training hours for school nutrition program directors, managers, and staff. Required training topic areas will vary according to position and job requirements. There are also minimum hiring standards for school nutrition program directors.
- Professional Standards for State and Local School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Link to Final Rule
- Summary of Professional Standards.pdf – informational flyer highlighting the new standards for school nutrition professionals
- Professional Standards Training Requirements and Online Resources – This document addresses training requirements and includes links to a number of continuing education resources.
- Frequently Asked Questions. pdf
- USDA Professional Standards website
- Download a Training Tracking Tool
- Webinar Slides
- Job Description Template
- Professional Standards for Child Nutrition Professionals Web site: http://professionalstandards.nal.usda.gov/
- This site allows school nutrition staff to search for training that meets their learning needs.
- School Nutrition Association resources for Professional Standards
- Professional Standard Training Guidelines – SNA May 2016
- Nebraska Department of Education Nutrition Services School Lunch Training – workshops and online training from Nutrition Services staff
- Food Safety Training
- Annual Training Log for tracking year to date hours, created by NDE Nutrition Services
- Single Event Training Log.docx