The Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 Agriculture Appropriations Act awarded the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) $30 million to distribute to State Agencies for the purpose of awarding equipment assistance grants (EAG). Nebraska received $169,376 for equipment assistance to eligible school food authorities (SFA) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Funds will be distributed through a competitive grant process.
The funds will allow SFAs to purchase equipment to serve healthier meals that meet the updated meal patterns, with emphasis on offering more fruits and vegetables in school meals, improving food safety and expanding access to the program.
- The SFA must currently be participating in the NSLP
- SFAs that apply for this grant will be considered based on the below priority order:
School buildings that have not received previous equipment grant funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 or the FY 2010, FY 2013 –FY 2018 Agricultural Appropriations Act; and
- Have 50 percent or more of the enrolled students eligible for free or reduced priced meals*; and
- Are considered high need schools (e.g. schools in underserved areas such as rural areas not close to major metropolitan areas), or are schools with limited access to other resources, and age of food service equipment.
School buildings that were previous recipients to equipment grant funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 or the FY 2010, FY 2013- FY 2018 Agricultural Appropriations Act in which 50 percent or more of the enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced priced meals*.
School buildings in which less than 50% of the enrolled students were eligible for free or reduced price meals*.
(*Note: Free and reduced percentages are based on October 2019 eligibility data.)
(Note: Free and reduced percentages are based on October 2019 eligibility data)
Application and Award Timeline:
February 21, 2020 by 5:00pm (CST)
Applications must be postmarked to be submitted to NDE
February 24-28, 2020
NDE’s review and scoring of all submitted applications
March 4, 2020
Notification of grant awards sent to SFAs. Additionally, SFAs not awarded will be notified.
September 30, 2021
All grant funds must be fully expended
- School Food Authority Equipment Grant Awards by Fiscal Year (2009-2018)
- Procurement Decision Tree – Revised JUN 2019
- Procurement Overview
- Nebraska’s Child Nutrition Program Approved Equipment List
- 2009 NFSMI Equipment Purchasing Facility & Design
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement
- Fuel Up to Play 60 Website
- How to Organize a Fundraiser