Links to Other Resources
Links to Other Resources
This page includes some web sites that are of interest to the users of the Nutrition Services web site. This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing of sites. You will be leaving the Nebraska Department of Education server when you follow these links. These links will open in a new browser window so you can continue viewing the Nutrition Services site. The Nebraska Department of Education Nutrition Services office does not endorse products; links to commercial sites are for information purposes only.
Food Management Resources
- Commodity Food Distribution Program – Nebraska Health & Human Services
- National Food Service Management Institute
- USDA Recipes – NFSMI – These recipes were revised from the 1988 Quantity Recipes for School Food Service and the 1995 Tool Kit for Healthy School Meals and now have updated yields from the Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs and using the 2005 Food Code for the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Emergency Handbook for Food Managers – National Association of County and City Health Officials can be downloaded from NACCHO site.
- Food Safety & Inspection Service – Active Recall Cases
- Food safety links for school food service managers and employees (USDA Healthy School Meals Resource System)
- Nutrition Explorations – National Dairy Council
- Serving it Safe: A Manager’s Tool Kit (USDA)
- Gateway to Government Food Safety Information – includes recall information and food safety tips
- Food Safety Inspection Service – Recall Information Center (USDA)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Free and reduced price guidance on the application approval and verification process (USDA) with links to prototype free and reduced price applications and translations
- Free and Reduced Price application materials – alternate language materials (USDA)
Healthy School Environment
- Core Nutrition Messages – Food & Nutrition Service (USDA)
- Empowering Youth with Nutrition and Physical Activity Manual developed as a resource to help teachers and caregivers of adolescents become positive role models. Available to view on line or request a hardcopy at the Team Nutrition Website.
- Healthy Meals Resource System USDA
- Healthy Weight Network – Your connection to Research – on obesity, eating disorders, dieting, weight loss or gain – School Wellness Plans
- How to Write a Local Wellness Policy
- Local School Wellness Polices – School Nutrition Association
- Lunch Line Redesign – Article published in the New York Times October 21, 2010. Click through the interactive image of a self serve bar that encourages students to eat more healthy foods.
- My Plate
- Model School Wellness Policy – NANA
- Nebraska Foundation for Children’s Vision – An educational and charitable foundation, seeks to ensure that every child entering school in Nebraska is visually ready to learn through expanding the SEE TO LEARN® program in Nebraska, offering a free vision assessment to all three year olds by a professional eye care provider.
- Resource Guide for School Wellness Polices
- Team Nutrition – Join the Team Resources
- USDA Dietary Guidelines
- USDA Wellness Policy