Creating the Profile: Guiding Questions
- What does research say about effective family and community engagement?
- Why is it important to engage all families and community in support of education?
- The National PTA has developed standards for family involvement. How is your school currently performing with families and communities in reference to these standards?
- What current practices of the school reflect effective collaboration among families and community?
- Do teachers, family, and community share common expectations regarding support for families? (example: building trusting relationships, linking families and community to school, developing leadership among family and community members).
- Have surveys and interviews of families, staff, and community been conducted?
- Were the survey responses representative?
- What types of services are being provided to support families?
- In school?
- In community?
- The following are some specific questions to be considered for analysis.
- What is known about your FAMILIES?
- % working
- % single parents
- % grandparents or other
- % children & families living in poverty
- % cultural, ethnic, racial, linguistic diversity
- % mobility or homeless
- What is known about your COMMUNITY(IES)?
- Economic factors (% agricultural, % professional, % industrial/technical, climate)
- Social foundation (service clubs, community organizations)
- Human services
- Inventory of community strengths/needs
April 19, 2018 1:23pm