Education & Training Experiences
Education/Training Experiences are a redesign of a teacher’s aide program for students who are interested in pursuing careers in the education/training field. The experience must be conducted in partnership with course work in Education and Training or Early Childhood and supervised by the education & training instructor.
An Education and Training Work Experience is really a redesign of a teacher’s aide program for students who are interested in pursuing careers in the education field. This experience provides students with a context in which they can make a personal assessment of their commitment to pursue a teaching, professional support services, or educational leadership career. Students are assigned various education levels of experience including early childhood, elementary, middle and high school in which they fully participate in teaching and related work. This experience must be conducted in partnership with course work in Education and Training or Early Childhood and supervised by the education and training instructor.
Education and Training Supervisors
Supervising Teacher: is the teacher who teaches the Education and Training or Early Childhood courses.
Internship Supervisor: is the teacher, administrator, or professional support services staff member who supervises and mentors the intern in the appropriately assigned educational setting. This may be the same as the supervising teacher.
Education and Training Internship Requirements
Prerequisites: Students must have taken at least one course in Education and Training or Early Childhood to qualify for this experience. It is most beneficial when used as a capstone experience after completing the Education and Training or Early Childhood program of study.
Professional Work Sample Portfolio (PWS): is a snapshot of the student’s work during the Education and Training Experience. The PWS should consist of four components (1) planning, (2) implementation/teaching, (3) evaluation of student learning and (4) personal reflection.
Selection/Qualifications: Education and Training Experience candidates must:
- Have successfully completed the prerequisite courses.
- Be enrolled in grades 11-12.
- Have completed the application process.
- Be selected for participation by the Supervising Teacher.
Roles and Responsibilities: Education and Training Experiences require time, commitment and collaboration of the following partners:
- Students are responsible for conducting themselves in a professional manner. They must maintain a Professional Work Sample Portfolio.
- Parents/Guardians provide ongoing support to the student and the Education and Training Experience. They are responsible for the conduct and attendance of the intern. Parents/Guardians must provide transportation for the intern to and from the experience site if needed.
- Supervising Teacher provides assistance in locating the most beneficial experience site for each student, ongoing supervision of the student, and manages all requirements of the experience and works collaboratively in designing the learning experiences with the Experience Supervisor.
- Experience Supervisor provides opportunities for students to complete experience activities, gain valuable experience in the field of Education, and evaluates the student’s performance.
- Appropriate Placement is an actual educational setting that provides the student with the maximum opportunity to learn and gain experience in the field of education. All Education and Training Experiences must relate to the student’s career objective/pathway/program.
- Credits Earned Credit is earned for the completion of Education and Training Experience.
Supervision Teacher Requirements: must make an on-site visit to the Experience Site at least twice a month and maintain all required documentation for each student participating. The Professional Work Sample Portfolio is used to document the student’s mastery of learning and for determining grades.
Placement Restrictions or Limitations: Interns may not be placed where immediate family members will be acting as the Supervisor.
Required Documentation and Forms: The following documentation must be maintained and on file by the Supervising Teacher for each participating intern during the Education and Training Experience.
Prior to Enrollment:
- Must declare a career objective related to Education and Training or Early Childhood
- Must have completed the Education and Training Experience Application
- Must complete an interview with the Education and Training Experience teacher
Upon Placement of Student:
- Education and Training Experience Agreement
- Proof of Insurance
- Emergency Contact Form
- Student Attendance Record
- Record of Supervising Teacher Visits
- Other Forms as required by the Local Education Agency
Upon Completion of the Externship:
- Student Evaluation of Education and Training Experience
- Student Follow-up Form
- Copy of Professional Work Sample Portfolio Evaluation
Education and Training Experiences are unpaid work-based experiences.