Teaching Standard Certificate

The Standard Teaching Certificate is valid for teaching in all Nebraska schools unless someone applies for a nonpublic certificate only. Someone is eligible for a Standard Teaching Certificate if they have been employed as a teacher for two consecutive years in the last five years while holding a regular teaching certificate. Once issued, a Standard Teaching Certificate expires August 31 in the fifth year following the year of issuance.

If someone is advancing a certificate from Initial to Standard, verification of employment experience is all that is needed for someone applying within Nebraska and has already held an Initial Certificate.

The requirements for a Standard Teaching Certificate include the following:

  1. An application and fee in the TEACH system  (Please note that registration for TEACH is required first; then an application can be submitted.)
  2. Qualify for or hold an Initial Teaching Certificate
  3. Fingerprints (required only if someone has lived outside of Nebraska in the past five years)
  4. Official Transcript(s)
  5. Institutional Verification – This form is used to show that a program was completed and is only needed if adding an endorsement. The form is sent electronically to Nebraska colleges and universities.
  6. Educator Certificate – A certificate is required only for those who have not been certified in Nebraska.
  7. Employment Verification – This form is required for those who have employment experience in a school district/system outside of Nebraska. Teaching experience from Nebraska is submitted by the district or system each year through Adviser and does not need to be submitted again.
  8. Content Test – Nebraska accepts only the Praxis Content test and is required for each new endorsement added to a certificate after September 1, 2015.  For the most up-to-date list of tests accepted by Nebraska and for information on how to register for a test, visit the ETS website.
  9. Human Relations Training
  10. Special Education Training

More information on how to send supporting documents can be found in the FAQ section of this website.

Create an account in TEACH.  

You will need to use your personal email address. This will be the address that your certificate gets emailed to as a PDF.

Start a new application

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Select Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = No
  3. Ever held an educator license in another state? = Yes/No
  4. Then select “First Time Applicant” and “Standard” from the dropdown box and complete the online application.

In the application

A checklist will appear on the left side of the application.  As you complete each section, the red X will change to a green check mark.  Each tab has instructions to complete each section.

Certificate Type Tab

Select “All School Certificate or Permit” or “Nonpublic School Certificate”.  Districts you add to the employment section will be able to monitor your application and status.

Personal Information Tab

Enter your information.  On this tab you can select the option “I hereby give my consent to the Nebraska Department of Education to use SMS messaging to send me notifications via text message and email.”

Academic Record Tab

Follow the instructions on this tab with information about any college or university you attended as a student.  Official transcripts must be sent directly from the college. Most colleges have a portal that will identify the service they use to send transcripts. A transcript from Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse can be sent directly to nde.tcertweb@nebraska.gov.

You can also mail a transcript to the following address: Nebraska Department of Education, Educator Certification, PO Box 94987, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509. Please note that if you mail a transcript yourself, it must be in a sealed envelope from the college.

Personal & Professional Fitness Tab

Answer the questions listed.  Any answer of “yes” will require explanation and documentation.

Testing Tab

Basic skills (Praxis Core) and a content test are required.  If you did not send your scores to the Nebraska Department of Education, you may upload a PDF of your score report by selecting “Yes” to “Do you have any state testing which you have not previously submitted?”  Applicants with out of state experience will work with their analyst to determine if they are eligible for a testing waiver.

Upload any out of state teaching licenses on this tab.

Experience Tab

In state teaching experience will appear on this tab.

Fingerprint Tab

Select the option that accurately describes your residency for the last 5 years.  Please note, that attending an out of state college would require you to select option “C”, as this means you were not continuously living in the state of Nebraska.

Declaration, Authorization and Signature Tab

Your electronic signature will need to match the name on the application.  If you previously had started the application, be sure to update your signature to reflect today’s date.

Fee and Payment Tab

To move to the fee and payment, all of the tabs must be saved and have a green check mark next to them.

Login to TEACH

If you have not registered, you will need to do so using your personal email address.

To renew only

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = Yes
  3. Are you making changes to your certificate? = No
  4. Select “Renewal or Short Form Renewal” and “Standard” from the dropdown menu

To renew your certificate and add an endorsement

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = Yes
  3. Are you making changes to your certificate? = Yes
    1. “Added Endorsement” does not change the expiration date of your current certificate.
    2. “Added Endorsement plus Renewal” will add the endorsement and issue a new certificate that will expire on August 31 in the fifth year following the year of issuance.
    3. “Changing Certificate Type/Level” allows you to advance to a Professional Certificate

Renewal Requirements – Prior to expiration or within five years of expiration

  • One year of experience as a teacher (half-time or more) within five years prior to the date of application, or
  • Six semester credit hours from a standard institution of higher education in education-related coursework earned within five years prior to the date of application.

Renewal Requirements – Five or more years after expiration

applicants must have received fifteen semester hours.  The hours must be recommended for issuance of the teaching certificate by the certification officer of your approved teacher education institution. The courses shall include:

  • a course in instructional techniques;
  • a practicum consisting of one hundred or more clock hours of contact with students in the classroom setting, fifty percent of which shall consist of performing instructional duties under the supervision of a cooperating teacher,
  • a course or courses which address current issues in education, including but not limited to, special education, gifted education, reading and writing in the content area, and school law; AND
  • The remaining course work is directly related to the applicant’s area of endorsement on his or her expired certificate.
Updated May 16, 2023 4:52pm