Standard Administrative Certificate

The Standard Administrative Certificate is valid for teaching and administration in all Nebraska school systems unless someone applies for a nonpublic certificate only. Someone serving as the superintendent must hold a valid administrative certificate with a superintendent endorsement.

In order to qualify for a Standard Administrative Certificate, an applicant needs to qualify for or have held a Nebraska Standard or Professional Teaching Certificate and have submitted evidence of two years of teaching experience or employment as an administrator, school counselor, or school psychologist in an approved or accredited or otherwise legally operated prekindergarten through grade twelve school.

A Standard Administrative Certificate expires August 31 in the fifth year following the year of issuance.

The requirements for a Standard Administrative Certificate include the following:

  1. An application and fee in the TEACH system  (Please note that registration for TEACH is required before an application can be submitted.)
  2. Qualify for or hold a Nebraska Standard or Professional Teaching Certificate
  3. Fingerprints (required only if someone has lived outside of Nebraska in the past five years)
  4. Official Transcript(s) showing a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or Educational Leadership or have received a subject area Master’s degree with completion of additional coursework in an approved program in the area(s) of endorsement sought by the applicant.
  5. Institutional Verification – This form is used to show that a program was completed, and is needed only if adding an endorsement. The form is sent electronically to Nebraska colleges and universities.
  6. Educator Certificate – A certificate is required only for those who have not been certified in Nebraska.
  7. Employment Verification – This form is required for those who have employment experience in a school district/system outside of Nebraska. Teaching experience from Nebraska is submitted by the district or system each year through Adviser and does not need to be submitted again.
  8. Basic Skills Test – In Nebraska, this requirement is met by taking the Praxis Core test before being admitted to a teacher preparation program. It can be waived with two years of teaching experience from outside of the state, along with a valid teaching certificate from that state. Other basic skills tests used by other states can also be accepted, as long as they assess reading, writing and math. For the most up-to-date list of tests accepted by Nebraska and for information on registration, visit the ETS website.
  9. Content Test – Nebraska only accepts the Praxis Content test which is required for each new endorsement added to a certificate after September 1, 2015.  For the most up-to-date list of tests accepted by Nebraska and for information on how to register for a test, visit the ETS website.
  10. Human Relations Training
  11. Special Education Training

More information on how to send supporting documents can be found in the FAQ section of this website.

Updated October 4, 2022 1:58pm