Teaching Postsecondary Permit

A Postsecondary Teaching Permit is issued to individuals who are teaching college courses to high school students where both high school and college credit is earned by the student.  If the teacher holds a current regular teaching or administrative certificate, they do not need a Postsecondary Teaching Permit to teach dual credit courses in their endorsed area.  The Postsecondary Teaching Permit expires expires August 31 in the third year following the year of issuance.

The requirements for a Postsecondary Teaching Permit include the following:

  1. An application and fee in the TEACH system  (Please note that registration for TEACH is required first; then an application can be submitted.)
  2. Fingerprints (required only if someone has lived outside of Nebraska in the past five years)
  3. Submit a Postsecondary Permit Employment Verification
  4. Official Transcript(s)
  5. Human Relations Training

Create an account in TEACH.

You will need to use your personal email address. This will be the address that your certificate gets emailed to as a PDF.

Start a new application

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Select Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = No
  3. Ever held an educator license in another state? = Yes/No
  4. Select “First Time Applicant” and “Postsecondary” from the dropdown box and complete the online application.

In the application

A checklist will appear on the left side of the application.  As you complete each section, the red X will change to a green check mark. Each tab has instructions to complete each section.

Certificate Type Tab

Select “All School Certificate or Permit”.  List the Community College you will be working for in order for them to monitor the status of your application.

Personal Information Tab

Enter your information.  On this tab you can select the option “I hereby give my consent to the Nebraska Department of Education to use SMS messaging to send me notifications via text message and email.”

Academic Record Tab

Follow the instructions on this tab with information about any college or university you attended as a student.  Official transcripts must be sent directly from the college. Most colleges have a portal that will identify the service they use to send transcripts. A transcript from Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse can be sent directly to nde.tcertweb@nebraska.gov.

You can also mail a transcript to the following address: Nebraska Department of Education, Educator Certification, PO Box 94987, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509. Please note that if you mail a transcript yourself, it must be in a sealed envelope from the college.

Personal & Professional Fitness Tab

Answer the questions listed.  Any answer of “yes” will require explanation and documentation.

Testing Tab

If you have a Human Relations certificate from the community college you will be working for, it may be uploaded on this tab.  Please note that if you are fulfilling the Human Relations requirement by taking an approved course, an official transcript must be sent.

Fingerprint Tab

Select the option that accurately describes your residency for the last 5 years.  Attending an out of state college during the last 5 years would require you to select option “C”, as this means you were not continuously living in the state of Nebraska.

Fee and Payment Tab

To move to the fee and payment, all of the tabs must be saved and have a green check mark next to them.  When you select “pay now” you will be moved to a third party site to complete the payment.  Please be sure to submit your application once you have paid.

Coming Soon.

Updated December 5, 2022 12:06pm