Military Teaching Permit

The Military Teaching Permit is valid for teaching in all Nebraska schools unless someone applies for a nonpublic certificate only. Once issued, a Military Teaching Permit expires August 31 of the third year following the year of issuance.

The requirements for a Military Teaching Permit include the following:

  1. An application and fee in the TEACH system  (Please note that registration for TEACH is required first; then an application can be submitted.)
  2. Fingerprints (required only if someone has lived outside of Nebraska in the past five years)
  3. Official Transcript(s)
  4. Educator Certificate – A valid teaching certificate or permit is required from another state and must show that the certificate or permit has been valid for at least one year.
  5. Submit evidence of current service in the armed forces of the United States, or evidence of having retired from such service within five years of the date of application.  If the applicant for a Military Teaching Permit is the spouse of active or retired military personnel, the applicant must present the same evidence pertaining to his or her spouse.
  6. Submit a United States Department of Defense Dependent Identification and Privilege Card establishing the applicant’s status as a spouse of a person who is serving on active duty if the applicant is not a current service member in the armed forces of the United States, or retired from such service within five years of the date of application.

More information on how to send supporting documents can be found in the FAQ section of this website.

Create an account in TEACH.  

You will need to use your personal email address. This will be the address that your certificate gets emailed to as a PDF.

Start a new application

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Select Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = No
  3. Ever held an educator license in another state? = Yes/No
  4. Then select “First Time Applicant” and “Militart” from the dropdown box and complete the online application.

In the application

A checklist will appear on the left side of the application.  As you complete each section, the red X will change to a green check mark.  Each tab has instructions to complete each section.

Certificate Type Tab

Select “All School Certificate or Permit” or “Nonpublic School Certificate”.  Districts you add to the employment section will be able to monitor your application and status.

Personal Information Tab

Enter your information.  On this tab you can select the option “I hereby give my consent to the Nebraska Department of Education to use SMS messaging to send me notifications via text message and email.”

Academic Record Tab

Follow the instructions on this tab with information about any college or university you attended as a student.  Official transcripts must be sent directly from the college. Most colleges have a portal that will identify the service they use to send transcripts. A transcript from Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse can be sent directly to

You can also mail a transcript to the following address: Nebraska Department of Education, Educator Certification, PO Box 94987, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509. Please note that if you mail a transcript yourself, it must be in a sealed envelope from the college.

Personal & Professional Fitness Tab

Answer the questions listed.  Any answer of “yes” will require explanation and documentation.

Testing Tab

A .pdf copy of your score report can be uploaded on this page or sent to

Experience Tab

Under “Out of State Teaching Experience” you can upload a .pdf copy of your out of state credentials.

Fingerprint Tab

Select the option that accurately describes your residency for the last 5 years.  Please note, that attending an out of state college would require you to select option “C”, as this means you were not continuously living in the state of Nebraska.

Declaration, Authorization and Signature Tab

Your electronic signature will need to match the name on the application.  If you previously had started the application, be sure to update your signature to reflect today’s date.

Fee and Payment Tab

To move to the fee and payment, all of the tabs must be saved and have a green check mark next to them.

To renew a Military Permit, you will need to meet all of the initial issuance requirements found on the “General Information” tab.

Login to TEACH to submit an application and fee.

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Teaching
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = Yes
  3. Are you making changes to your certificate? = No
  4. Select “Renewal” and “Military” from the dropdown menu
Updated March 30, 2023 2:39pm