Special Services Provisional Permit

The Provisional Special Services Permit is valid in all Nebraska Schools unless someone applies for a nonpublic permit only. This permit is valid only in the area of the Speech Language Technician endorsement described in Rule 24 006.67. The Provisional Special services permit expires August 31st of the year following issuance. This permit may be renewed twice for an individual for a total of three (3) years on the permit.

The requirements for a Provisional Special Service Permit include the following:

  1. Apply through TEACH portal.
  2. Submit official transcripts from colleges or universities that show a bachelor’s degree in Speech Communication Disorders or Speech Language Pathology. These must come directly from the college itself. See submitting transcripts on our website.
  3. Pay application fee.
  4. Submit fingerprints IF you have not been a resident of Nebraska for the past 5 years and/or have not previously held a NE teaching or special services permit or certificate.
  5. Submit evidence of a Human Relations Training Course through transcripts.
  6. Submit a written request for the issuance of the permit from the superintendent or governing body of the school system in which you intend to work.
  7. Submit a signed and dated statement of intent to pursue admission into a Master’s Speech Language pathology program during the period the permit is valid.

Create an account in TEACH.  

You will need to use your personal email address. This will be the address that your certificate gets emailed to as a PDF.

Start a new application

  1. What type of Certificate or Permit are you applying for today? = Select Special Services
  2. Ever held a Nebraska Teaching Certificate? = No
  3. Ever held an educator license in another state? = Yes/No
  4. Then select “First Time Applicant” and “Provisional” from the dropdown box and complete the online application.

In the application

A checklist will appear on the left side of the application.  As you complete each section, the red X will change to a green check mark.  Each tab has instructions to complete each section.

Certificate Type Tab

Select “All School Certificate or Permit” or “Nonpublic School Certificate”.  Districts you add to the employment section will be able to monitor your application and status.

Personal Information Tab

Enter your information.  On this tab you can select the option “I hereby give my consent to the Nebraska Department of Education to use SMS messaging to send me notifications via text message and email.”

Academic Record Tab

Follow the instructions on this tab with information about any college or university you attended as a student.  Official transcripts must be sent directly from the college. Most colleges have a portal that will identify the service they use to send transcripts. A transcript from Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse can be sent directly to nde.tcertweb@nebraska.gov.

You can also mail a transcript to the following address: Nebraska Department of Education, Educator Certification, PO Box 94987, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509. Please note that if you mail a transcript yourself, it must be in a sealed envelope from the college.

Personal & Professional Fitness Tab

Answer the questions listed.  Any answer of “yes” will require explanation and documentation.

Testing Tab

Nothing needs to be done on this tab for this permit.

Fingerprint Tab

Select the option that accurately describes your residency for the last 5 years.  Please note, that attending an out of state college would require you to select option “C”, as this means you were not continuously living in the state of Nebraska.

Declaration, Authorization and Signature Tab

Your electronic signature will need to match the name on the application.  If you previously had started the application, be sure to update your signature to reflect today’s date.

Fee and Payment Tab

To move to the fee and payment, all of the tabs must be saved and have a green check mark next to them.

The Provisional Special Services Permit expires August 31 of the year following issuance. In order to renew the first time, you must hold or have held a Nebraska Provisional Special Services certificate or permit and submit a signed and dated statement from the institution verifying that you have been admitted into an approved Master’s Speech Language Pathology program.  To renew subsequent times, you must submit a signed and dated statement from the institution of the remaining requirements leading to the issuance of a regular endorsement and transcript documenting six (6) hours completed in the past year in a Master’s Speech Language Pathology program.

Updated February 12, 2024 2:36pm