HUMAN RELATIONS – NARRATIVE SIX SKILLS
Writing a Narrative for the Human Relations Training Requirement
VERIFICATION OF SKILLS THROUGH EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
Your narrative must be affirmed or validated by the signature of a supervisor who is familiar with your employment experience. The narrative must be at least one detailed typed page for each skill. Each skill must be addressed from the stand point of what you specifically have done to acquire the skill.
Six Skills Required for the Human Relations Training Requirement
- An awareness and understanding of the values, lifestyles, contributions, and history of a pluralistic society;
- The ability to recognize and deal with dehumanizing biases, including but not limited to, sexism, racism, prejudice, and discrimination, and an awareness of the impact such biases have on interpersonal relations;
- The ability to translate knowledge of human relations into attitudes, skills, and techniques which result in favorable experiences for students;
- The ability to recognize the ways in which dehumanizing biases may be reflected in instructional materials;
- Respect for human dignity and individual rights; and
- The ability to relate effectively to other individuals and to groups in a pluralistic society other than the teacher’s own.
The following is an abbreviated example of an acceptable format for writing a narrative, which will verify the HRT skills have been met through employment experience.
An awareness and understanding of the values, lifestyles, contributions, and history of a pluralistic society; When Alpha School closed due to depopulation, and other demographic factors, I transferred to Beta School, which served a widely diverse population of the city. Faculty was highly dedicated to the 65% minority students. I was impressed immediately that the faculty addressed student needs without favoritism of some racial/cultural type that I had expected. I learned there are special skills needed to address the minority needs while preserving self-image and I learned these from my fellow faculty at Beta. The cultural sensitivities of American Indian children were especially revealing to me. Some of the learned special skills which I implemented in the classroom are ………
Continue with each skill as indicated above.
Sign your name and include your social security number.
REQUIRED VERIFICATION AND SIGNATURE
Having personal knowledge of (NAME) EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCES, I hereby verify that the above statements are true to the best of my knowledge
SIGNATURE WITH TITLE OR RELATIONSHIP