Please note: in order to start an application for teacher certification with NDE, you need to be in the United States. Please do not start an application until you have made it to the U.S.

Steps for Foreign-Trained Teachers:

  • Before you apply, you need to be in the United States and have been given a social security number.
  • Apply through TEACH portal once inside the United States- TEACH Portal Website.
  • Pay application fee.
  • Submit Official Transcripts from Colleges or Universities- These transcripts must be in English and evaluated. If transcripts are in English, they still need to be evaluated by an approved organization. To have transcripts translated and evaluated, please reach out to one of our approved organizations. The organization will then send the translated transcript and evaluation to NDE.
    • We need transcripts evaluated to show that the degree awarded matches the requirements for a degree in the United States.
  • Submit 2 sets of full fingerprints that have been taken while in the United States- Fingerprint Instructions.
  • Submit an Institutional Verification Form to confirm endorsement. This form should be filled out signed and returned by your college or university.
    • If graduating from an out-of-state college or university, you need to send the form to your college and have them send it back to NDE- IV Form.
  • Submit Employment Verification Form to confirm recency. Have the school district from your home country fill out the form and send it over to us at – Employment Verification Form.
  • Submit Legal Documents for employment in the United States (i.e. employment authorization card, permanent resident card/green card, U.S.A. Visa).
    • Front and back of documents must be submitted in color.
  • Additional forms may be required by your analyst. Please see Supporting Forms on our website if additional forms are requested.
Updated April 12, 2024 4:04pm