The State Board of Education shall:
- Be the policy-forming, planning, and evaluative body for the state school program
- Deliberate and take action with the professional advice and counsel of the Commissioner
- Assure provision of student personnel services by schools
- Appoint and fix compensation of the Commissioner
- Remove the Commissioner from office if necessary
- Appoint and fix compensation of all professional employees upon recommendation of the Commissioner
- Organize the State Department of Education
- Through the Commissioner:
- Provide supervision and consultation to schools
- Issue materials
- Establish rules and regulations which govern standards and procedures
- Institute a statewide system of testing if determined to be advisable
- Publish laws, rules, and regulations
- Approve teacher education programs
- Adopt rules and regulations for Educational Service Units
- Prepare and distribute reports
- Consult with professional educators and lay leaders
- Conduct studies and investigations
- Submit to the Governor and Legislature a budget necessary to finance the state school program and the Department of Education
- Interpret its own policies
- Regulate school transportation
- Accept devises of real property and donations
- Approve programs for handicapped children
- Approve Veterans Education programs
- Administer federally established education programs
- Coordinate educational activities that pertain to elementary and secondary education
- Receive and distribute federal funds and commodities
- Publish directories and other documents
- Rent or lease office space
- Act as the State Board of Vocational Education
||State Board of Education; members; election.
||State Board of Education; districts enumerated.
||State Board of Education districts; description; basis.
||State Board of Education; members; qualifications.
||State Board of Education; members; vacancies; how filled.
||State Board of Education; members; officers; Commissioner of Education; appointment; term; removal; seal; powers.
||State Board of Education; members; impeachment; grounds.
||State Board of Education; meetings; open to public; exceptions; compensation and expenses.
||State Board of Education; powers; duties.
||State Board of Education; additional powers; enumerated.
||State Board of Education; liability insurance; for whom.
||State Board of Education; State Board of Vocational Education; assumption of powers and duties; Commissioner of Education; duties.
COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION DUTIES
The Commissioner shall:
- Organize institutes and conferences
- Visit schools
- Prescribe forms for reports and regulations
- Maintain an office in Lincoln
- Maintain records subject to examination
- Keep the Board fully informed and advised
- Prepare a budget
- Voucher the expenses
- Promote efficiency, welfare, and improvement of the school system
- Promote educational improvement by:
- Preparing curriculum
- Providing supervision and consultation
- Holding conferences
- Conducting research and evaluation
- Assisting in the development of Effective Education
- Decide disputed points of school law
- Issue teachers’ certificates
- Attend all Board meetings or designate a representative
- Serve as administrative head of the State Department of Education
- Delegate administrative and supervisory functions
- Maintain a system of personnel administration
- Prescribe administrative rules and regulations
- Perform duties prescribed by the Legislature
- Serve as executive officer of the State Board of Education and administrative head of the State Department of Education
- Provide educational leadership
||Commissioner of Education; qualifications.
||Commissioner of Education; office; powers; duties.
||Commissioner of Education; State Department of Education; administrative head; duties.
||School districts; numbering.
||Teacher’s institutes and conferences; organization; supervision.
||Public schools; duty to visit and supervise.
||Teacher performance pay; local collective-bargaining agreements; data; Commissioner of Education; duties; school district; use of funds; return of funds.
October 24, 2017 1:17pm