U.S. Department of Education Waivers Granted Related to the COVID-19 Emergency Reminder
Public School Districts, Special Purpose Schools and ESUs
The Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) requested, and was granted, waivers from various federal requirements related to the COVID-19 emergency.
The fiscal waivers allow the NDE to extend the period of availability of the Federal fiscal year 2018 (2018-19) funds to LEAs. Allowing obligation through September 30, 2021 and liquidation through December 30, 2021 for the following programs:
- ESEA1: Title I, Title II, Title III, Title IV, Title IC, Title ID Subpart 1 and 2, 21st Century CLC, RLIS, and McKinney-Vento; and
- Special Education: IDEA Part B2 and Part C3.
The carryover funds from 2018-2019, with an additional year extension, now have the same obligation and liquidation deadlines as the funds from 2019-2020. NDE is unilaterally extending these deadlines for all LEAs for the carryover funds from 2018-2019.
What this means to school districts:
- Carryover timelines are extended for another year, funds do not expire December 2020.
- For the carryover, no action is needed in GMS by the districts. NDE will manually load 2019 funds released on the Final Reimbursement Request for carryover into 2020-2021 Application.
- Once loaded, to use these funds, a budget amendment is required.
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact your program consultant.
1 Certain fiscal requirements under ESEA pursuant to authority under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act);
2 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part B of 1996 period of availability per Section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA), pursuant to authority under the CARES Act; and
3 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part C of 1997 period of availability per Section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA), pursuant to authority under the CARES…Read More › – U.S. Department of Education Waivers Granted Related to the COVID-19 Emergency Reminder
Contact Information: Steve Bauers (Steve.Bauers@nebraska.gov or 402-890-8136)