Teaching Transitional Permit

The Transitional Teaching Permit is issued to mid-career professionals and recent college graduates with baccalaureate degrees who complete a transitional program through an accredited college or university. This permit is valid for teaching only in the Nebraska school system requesting the issuance of such permit. The Transitional Teaching Permit expires August 31 of the year following issuance. This permit may be renewed a maximum of four (4) years as long applicants submit documentation of at least 6 credit hours of progress per year.

The requirements for a Transitional teaching permit include the following:

  1. Apply through TEACH portal.
  2. Submit Official Transcripts from colleges or universities attended that show completion of bachelor’s degree. These must come directly from the college itself. See submitting transcripts on our website.
  3. Pay application fee.
  4. Submit 2 sets of Fingerprints IF you have not been a resident of Nebraska for the past 5 years and/or have not previously held a NE teaching certificate/permit.
  5. Submit a written request for an issuance of such permit from the superintendent of schools or the governing body of the school system in which the applicant intends to teach.
  6. Submit a written plan from the school system for mentoring and supervision.
  7. Submit a courses required for completion form with an educator preparation program from a Nebraska standard institution of high education to complete the program for an initial teaching certificate.

More information on how to send supporting documents can be found in the FAQ section of this website.

Updated February 5, 2024 4:29pm