SPED Five Skills – Narrative
Writing & Submitting a Narrative for the Special Education Training Requirement
Your narrative must be affirmed and/or validated by the signature of a supervisor who is familiar with your employment experience. Your narrative will need substantially more detail than the example below. At least one page will need to be written for each skill
Five Skills Required for the Special Education Training Requirement
- _ Knowledge of the exceptional needs of the disabilities defined under the Special Education Act. These are caused by physical, sensory, or intellectual impairment, inappropriate behavior, learning disabilities, and/or speech/language impairment;
- _ Knowledge of the major characteristics of each disability in order to recognize its existence in children;
- _ Knowledge of various alternatives for providing the least restrictive environment for children with disabilities;
- _ Knowledge of methods of teaching students with disabilities in the regular classroom; and
- _ Knowledge of pre-referral alternatives; referral systems; multidisciplinary team responsibilities; the individualized education plan process, and the placement process.
Format to Use When Writing the Narrative
The following is an abbreviated example of an acceptable format for writing a narrative which will verify the SPED skills that have been met through employment experience. The narrative for each skill should be approximately one typed page.
First skill: Knowledge of the exceptional needs of the disabilities defined under the Special Education Act. These are caused by physical, sensory, or intellectual impairment, inappropriate behavior, learning disabilities, and/or speech/language impairment;
I have taught in three different schools over the last fourteen years and during that time I have seen all the disabilities in one form or another, and the various ways schools have attempted to address them. In my own classes I have learned “on the job” how to work effectively with students with mental limitations, learning disabilities and behavior disturbances .While I am not an expert in this area, I have achieved the competency and confidence needed to teach special needs students and to work with special education teachers. I have gained great understanding of these children and their families and siblings.
Second skill: Continue with each skill as indicated above.
Sign your name and include your social security number.
REQUIRED VERIFICATION AND SIGNATURE
Having personal knowledge of (NAME) employment experiences, I hereby verify that the above statements are true to the best of my knowledge.
SIGNATURE WITH TITLE OR RELATIONSHIP