Transition to Teaching Program Information

Mid-career professionals and recent college graduates with baccalaureate degrees who wish to become Nebraska teachers may qualify for the Nebraska Transitional Teaching Permit. As the result of a federal grant, the Nebraska Department of Education in partnership with the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) implemented the Transitional Certification Program (TCP). In addition to the TCP program at UNK, alternative routes to certification are available at most Nebraska institutions with approved educator preparation programs. You can obtain specific information by contacting the institution directly. The links on the Nebraska Teacher Preparation Programs page will take you to the education department website at each institution listed.

Rule 21, Issuance of Certificates and Permits to Teach, Provide Special Services and Administer in Nebraska Schools, provides specific information about the transitional permit, but requirements include:

  • The applicant must have a baccalaureate degree which includes at least 75% of course requirements for preparation in a secondary field or subject endorsement area.
  • A written request for the issuance of the permit from the superintendent or governing body of the school system in which the applicant intends to teach, including documentation that the school system has not found a fully qualified teacher for the position.
  • An assessment of transcripts completed by a certification officer in a standard institution of higher education and a plan developed for completion of an approved initial teacher certification program.
  • A written plan from the school system for mentoring and supervision of the applicant.
  • Completion of a pre-teaching seminar that includes information and skill development in the areas of diversity, classroom management, curriculum planning, and instructional strategies prior to assuming responsibility for the classroom.
  • A written agreement with a Nebraska teacher education program to complete at least one supervisory visit each semester to the school system of the applicant.

Information about other Nebraska certificates and permits can be found on the Teacher Certification Office web site or in Rule 21. Questions regarding Nebraska certification should be directed to the Teacher Certification Office at

Updated April 27, 2020 3:55pm