Requirements to Drive a Pupil Transportation Vehicle
Federal and State Requirement Matrices:
- FMCSA Requirements for Schools ‐ Passenger Vehicles Capacity 9 to 15
- FMCSA Requirements for Passenger Vehicles Capacity 16 or more
- Nebraska Requirements for First School Bus Permit
- Nebraska Requirements for Schools & Licensed Drivers of Pupil Transportation Vehicles
A school bus permit is required for the driver of all vehicles that transport one or more school children for routes.
To become a pupil transportation vehicle driver, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a valid CDL or Class O (whichever is appropriate for the class of bus permit)
- Complete Level I or Level II instructional training or proof of waiver for the Level I or II Instruction Course.
- Have a current DOT physical (dated within the last 90 days)
A school bus permit is not required when operating a small vehicle (i.e. car, van) used for activity purposes.
Contact the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles for more information to obtain a Nebraska School Bus Permit or a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- CDL Manual (pdf file)
- Janice Eret: (402) 471-2248 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bryce Wilson: (402) 471-4320 or email@example.com