Secondary ELL Working Group
As part of our ongoing efforts to supporting ELL Programming across the state, the NDE English Learner Program initiated a Secondary ELL Working Group in Fall 2016. From there we have grown to include over 30 members from districts and ESUs all over the state. This group focuses on developing resources and materials and sharing ideas around secondary ELL programming and support. Anyone who serves secondary ELLs welcome to join the group. We meet in person 2 times a year and collaborate and communicate online throughout the year.
Here are the 5 guiding principles that inform our work:
- We believe all school staff should support English learners (ELs) by increasing their own understanding of language acquisition, best practices for ELs, and the district’s EL program.
- We believe in systematic programming and instruction that includes professional development and continued support for all teachers who serve English learners.
- We believe all English learners have strengths and funds of knowledge that they bring to enrich our schools and communities.
- We believe all English learners have the ability to learn English, participate in grade level content and should have a clear pathway towards graduation.
- We believe in building positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in supporting students’ academic achievement.
English Learner Instructional Language Plan
The purpose of this document is to communicate background information of English learners to content teachers and support staff and provide information on classroom supports.
Nebraska ELL Program Guide: A Guide for Secondary ELL Programming
The purpose of this document is to provide districts and schools with ideas for setting up secondary programming and supporting secondary English learners and their families.
Student Monitor Support Plan
The purpose of this document is to communicate information to content teachers and support staff during the 4-year monitor period after students exit the English learner status.