New Superintendent Orientation Materials
2021/22 New Superintendent Orientations
To help “new” superintendents gain a better understanding of school finance, New Superintendent Orientations have been developed to cover the following information:
- School District Funds
- Budget Document and Schedules
- LC-2 Form and Special Grant Funds
- Administrator Data Submission Responsibilities – Helpdesk
- Annual Financial Report
- Federal Programs/Grants Management System
- State Aid
Although these orientations are for first and second year superintendents, all superintendents are welcome to attend in order to become more comfortable with the basics of school finance. Business managers and bookkeepers are welcome to participate as well.
The two sessions are listed below. Both days will contain the same format, so one day of attendance should be sufficient.
New Superintendent Orientations are held at two sites in Nebraska but with health concerns due to COVID-19, this Orientation will also be available via Zoom. The meeting will start at 8:30 a.m. to cover the topics listed below. We will conclude by 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021 (8:30-3:00)
- North Platte (Best Western Plus; 3201 S Jeffers St.)
Thursday, July 22, 2021 (8:30-3:00)
- Milford (ESU 6; 210 5th St.)
Morning Session Topics:
- Budgeted Funds
- School District Budget
- LC-2 and Special Grant Fund List
- State Aid Basics
- Annual Financial Report and Users’ Manual
- Federal Programs & Grants Management System (GMS) Basics
- NCSA Presentation
Only the morning sessions are available via Zoom.
Afternoon Session Agenda:
Both afternoon sessions (1-3 p.m.) will be offered as an opportunity to work one-on-one with NDE staff on any finance questions including the following or others:
- In-person budget assistance
- Data submission questions/concerns
- Federal funding
- Fund use/building projects/Bond issues
Participants should bring the documents listed below to the Orientation. These documents will be referred to throughout the day.
- New Superintendent Orientation Materials
- 2021/22 Budget Text
- Accounting Structure & Users’ Manual – Program Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System for Nebraska School Districts
- 2021/22 Tax Equity and Educational Opportunities Support Act (TEEOSA) Document
- 2021/22 School District Budget Form-download/print from the APA website
- 2019/20 AFR Summary Report (available in the Annual Financial Report in the NDE Portal) and/or 2019/20 District Audit (in your school files)
Registrations for the orientations should be received by Friday, July 16. To register, contact Micki Iverson by email (email@example.com) or by telephone at (402) 471-1894. When registering, include the following information:
- date you will attend
- names of those attending
- your school district name
- your email address
- if you plan to go to in-person assistance
Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the Zoom meeting and information on the documents you will need during the Orientation.