New Superintendent Orientations
2023/24 New Superintendent Orientations
To help “new” superintendents gain a better understanding of school finance, New Superintendent Orientations have been developed to cover the following information:
- School District Funds
- Budget Document and Schedules
- LC-2 Form and Special Grant Funds
- Administrator Data Submission Responsibilities – ADVISER Helpdesk & Consolidated Data Collection
- Annual Financial Report
- Federal Programs/Grants Management System
- State Aid
Although these orientations are for first and second year superintendents, all superintendents are welcome to attend in order to become more comfortable with the basics of school finance. Business managers and bookkeepers are welcome to participate as well.
The two sites for the 2023/24 New Superintendent Orientations are listed below.
Tuesday, July 18, 2023 (8:30-3:00)
- North Platte (Best Western Plus; 3201 S Jeffers St.)
Thursday, July 20, 2023 (8:30-3:00)
- Milford (ESU 6; 210 5th St.) It is recommended to attend in person but if that is not possible, the July 20th orientation will be available by Zoom.
Morning Session Topics:
- Budgeted Funds
- School District Budget
- LC-2 and Special Grant Fund List
- State Aid Basics
- Annual Financial Report and Users’ Manual
- Federal Programs & Grants Management System (GMS) Basics
- NCSA Presentation
Afternoon Session Agenda:
Both afternoon sessions (1-3 p.m.) will be offered as an opportunity to work one-on-one with NDE staff on any finance questions including the following or others:
- In-person budget assistance
- Data submission questions/concerns
- Federal funding
- Fund use/building projects/Bond issues
Participants should bring the documents listed below to the Orientation. These documents will be referred to throughout the day.
- New Superintendent Orientation Materials (available on or before July 14)
- 2023/24 Budget Text (available in June)
- 2023 Users’ Manual (Accounting Structure & Users’ Manual – Program Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System for Nebraska School Districts)
- 2023/24 Tax Equity and Educational Opportunities Support Act (TEEOSA) Document
- 2023/24 School District Budget Form-download/print from the APA website (available in June)
- 2021/22 AFR Summary Report (available in the Annual Financial Report in the NDE Portal) and/or 2021/22 District Audit (in your school files)
Additionally, please have your log in for GMS prior to attending if possible. Log in can be set up by contacting the NDE Help Desk.
To register, contact Micki Iverson by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by telephone at (402) 471-1894. When registering, include the following information:
- date you will attend
- names of those attending
- your school district name
- your email address
- if you plan to go to in-person assistance (available July 20th only).
Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the Zoom (if applicable) meeting and information on the documents you will need during the Orientation.