Assistance is provided by the following Nebraska Department of Education staff. Contact information and a description of services available are included.
Jolene Palmer – State School Security Director
Freida Lange – Administrator, Approval & Accreditation
- Information on School Safety Plan requirement included in Rule 10, Regulations and Procedures for the Accreditation of Schools
Julane Hill – Director, School Health
- Institutes/Workshops/Trainings on Coordinated School Health (CSH), Health Education, Physical Education, Coordinated School Health Policy, Wellness Policy
- Standards, Curriculum mapping, etc.
The focus is on creating a healthy, welcoming school environment encompassing health education, physical education, health services, nutrition services, mental health, staff wellness, & Family/Community involvement. Bullying, safety & dating violence policies are discussed within a CSH approach along with Rule 10 requirements in regards to health and safety. Conduct 2 statewide surveys for NDE: Youth Risk Behavior Survey & School Health Profiles Survey.
Donna Hoffman – Director, School Counseling
- Counseling Program information
- Positive development standards for students
- Academic Development
- Career Development
- Personal/Social Development
- Web Page Information
- Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Strategies for School Counselors to identify and address behaviors
Anne Oeth – Project Coordinator, PBiS Program
PBiS is a behavior based and research validated process that increases the capacity of schools, families, and communities to develop preventive, proactive, positive environments. The process focuses on building school-wide, classroom and individual systems of support general enough to assist all students, but focused enough to provide students at risk individual help.
- Benefits all students, and is not limited to any particular group
- Is based on effective behavioral practices, instructional design, and strategies
- Approaches behavior in a proactive way by teaching appropriate behaviors
- Fosters positive adult-to-student relationships
- Supports the local school continuous improvement process
Schools interested in implementing PBiS should contact the project coordinator for more information.
Jeff Schneider – Investigator, Professional Practices, Legal Office
- General safety information – bullying issues
- Concerns about staff not reacting properly & within policy/law regarding professional responsibilities.