Braised Cabbage with Garden Vegetables
Photo Courtesy of Harvest of the Month
- Local Nebraska cabbage, rinsed, dried, and coarsely cut - 8 lbs
- Diced onions - 12 ozs
- Chopped carrots, quarter-inch thick - 5 cups
- Garlic salt - 2 tsps
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Vegetable or Canola oil - 3/4 cups
- Chicken Stock - 1 qt
- Rinse whole cabbage and let dry. Coarsely cut cabbage. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix onions, carrots, oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Mix well. Distribute evenly among 2 ½ inch full pans (2 pans for 50 servings, 4 pans for 100 servings). Roast in pans in convection oven at 425° F for 15 minutes.
- Move the pans to the steamer and add chicken stock (distribute evenly among pans). Heat to boiling, then add one half of the total amount of cabbage (distribute evenly among pans) and stir for 30 seconds.
- Continue to add the remaining cabbage and stir at 30 second intervals until all cabbage has been added to the pans.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. When cabbage is done, most of the liquid will have cooked away.
- Serve ½ cup portions using 4 oz spoodle.
Critical Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
50 servings makes 9 lbs
4 oz spoodle
Meal Pattern Contribution