Baked Sweet Potatoes & Apples
Recipe Courtesy of Harvest of the Month
Photo Courtesy of USDA: Baked Sweet Potatoes & Apples
- Local fresh, sweet potatoes, diced half-inch - 4 lbs
- Margarine - 8 ozs
- Ginger, chopped - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 lb
- Ground cinnamon - 1 1/3 Tbsp
- Ground nutmeg - 1 1/3 Tbsp
- Salt - 2 tsps
- Vanilla extract - 1 1/3 Tbsp
- Frozen green apples, thawed, unsweetened - 3.625 lbs
- Water - 1 pt
- Orange juice, concentrated, frozen, thawed - 1 pt
- Dried cranberries - 10 ozs
- Corn starch - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Preheat conventional oven to 375°F or convection oven to 350°F.
- Place 2 lb sweet potatoes in a 12” x 20” x 2½” in full steam table pan. (For 50 servings, use 2 pans.)
- Bake in a conventional oven at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or a convection oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes. Critical Control Point: Heat to 135°F for at least 15 seconds.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, add margarine, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla to a large stock pot. Simmer uncovered over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add apples. Simmer uncovered over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir well until apples are coated with sugar mixture.
- Add water and orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries, corn starch, and water. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Allow corn starch mixture to thicken and adhere to the apples.
- After removing sweet potatoes from oven, pour 1 qt 2 cups (about 3 lb 2 oz) apple mixture from each pan.
- Portion with No. 12 scoop (1/3 cup).
Critical Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
50 servings makes 4 lbs
Meal Pattern Contribution