What should I do before I file a Complaint?

The Nebraska Department of Education has one Investigator assigned to the entire state and therefore we strongly encourage citizens to work with their principal, superintendent, and local school board before filing a permissive complaint. Complaints received that do not include information about such efforts may be returned to give citizens the opportunity to exhaust any local remedies before the Nebraska Department of Education will get involved.