Child Passenger Safety (Pupil Transportation)
Child Passenger Safety Law
All children up to age 6 riding in any motor vehicle must ride correctly secured in an appropriate child restraint system that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS 213). This means that the child restraint systems must be appropriate for the child’s size, age and weight.
What’s the effect of this law on pupil transportation vehicles?
Pupil transportation vehicle fitted with seat belts must also be equipped with the appropriate child restraint systems when transporting children up to age six. School buses (except Type A buses) are not required to be equipped with seat belts. However, if a bus is fitted with seat belts, appropriate child restraint systems must be provided for children up to age six.
Visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s web site to get detailed information about transporting children in buses. For additional information on child restraint systems and which would work best in school vans or school buses, contact the following retailers of child restraint systems:
- Prevention Alternatives
- (517) 927-7731
- E-Z-ON Products, Inc.
- (800) 323-6598 or www.ezonpro.com
- SafeGuard by IMMI
- (877) 447-2305 or www.safeguardseat.com
Seating in Small Vehicles
There is no Nebraska statute stating a minimum age for children sitting in the front seat of a vehicle, but best practice recommendations are to not seat children under age 13 in the front seat. However, if the situation occurs that a child younger than 13 needs to ride in the front seat, please follow these steps:
- Seat the tallest/biggest child in the front seat.
- Make sure the seat belt fits properly – lap belt low on lap, not on stomach; shoulder belt is centered on shoulder.
- Slide the seat as far back as possible.
Keep in mind that in the event of an air bag discharge, the most intense contact would be with head and face of a shorter person.
For more details, contact:
- Kaitlyn Richardson, Nebraska Safety Center Lead Trainer
- (402) 480-6859
- Jason Kerkman, Nebraska SAFE KIDS Coordinator
- Nebraska Health and Human Services System
- (402) 471-8749
- Janice Eret: (402) 471-2248 or email@example.com
- Bryce Wilson: (402) 471-4320 or firstname.lastname@example.org