Exempt School [Home School] Program
Parents (or legal guardians) may educate their child at home by electing not to meet State approval or accreditation requirements (Section 79-1601 R.R.S.). In Nebraska, “home schools” are referred to as exempt schools and are considered non-approved or non-accredited schools. By filing for and receiving exempt status, parents are electing not to have their child attend a school that meets State approval and accreditation requirements while also complying with the mandatory school attendance law (Section 79-201 R.R.S.).
- Rule 13 is the rule governing the procedures and standards for parents (or legal guardians) filing for an exemption.
- Resources (private parent support organizations)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) [This document is from the 2018/19 school year; the 2019/20 FAQ document will be posted by the end of May.]
2019/20 School Year
- It is too early to submit a Rule 13 exemption for the 2019/20 school year. The 2019/20 forms and information & link to the updated online submission will be available on this website by the end of May 2019.
2018/19 School Year
- NDE has discontinued accepting 2018/19 submissions.
- 2017/18 Report on Participants in Nebraska Exempt Schools (04/01/2019)
- 2016/17 Report on Participants in Nebraska Exempt Schools
- 2016/17 Addendums (04/01/2019):
- Beth Bolte: (402) 471-2795 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micki Iverson: (402) 471-1894 or email@example.com