Exempt School [Home School] Program
Parents (or legal guardians) may educate their child at home by electing not to meet State approval or accreditation requirements (Section 79-1601 R.R.S.). In Nebraska, “home schools” are referred to as exempt schools and are considered non-approved or non-accredited schools. By filing for and receiving exempt status, parents are electing not to have their child attend a school that meets State approval and accreditation requirements while also complying with the mandatory school attendance law (Section 79-201 R.R.S.).
- Rule 13 is the rule governing the procedures and standards for parents (or legal guardians) filing for an exemption.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) [This document is from the 2021/22 school year; the 2022/23 FAQ document will be available by early June, along with the 2022/23 filing information and forms.]
- Resources (private parent support organizations)
2022/23 School Year (filing information available by early June)
It is too early to file for the 2022/23 school year. The filing information for the 2022/23 school year will be available by early June.
- Online filers – If the parent representative has an active exemption at the end of the 2021/22 school year, the parent presentative will receive an email once the 2022/23 online system is available.
- Paper filers – If the parent representative has an active exemption at the end of the 2021/22 school year, the parent presentative will receive a postcard once the 2022/23 filing materials can be printed from the website. Renewal packets are mailed upon request only. To be added to the mailing list for the 2022/23 renewal packet, contact Micki Iverson at email@example.com or 402/471-1894.
2021/22 School Year
- NDE has discontinued accepting 2021/22 submissions.
- 2019/20 Report on Participants in Nebraska Exempt Schools (October 2021)
- The following student count is a year-end estimate only and subject to change pending audit:
- Students – 14,780
- The following student count is based on filings received as of 04/07/2022 and subject to change on a daily basis:
- Students –13,709 (as of 04/07/2022)
- Beth Bolte: (402) 471-2795 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micki Iverson: (402) 471-1894 or email@example.com