Sweet Potato Beef Mash-Up
- Diced sweet potatoes - 14 lbs
- Taco seasoning mix, divided - 1 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- Ground Beef (80% lean) - 8 1/2 lbs
- Chopped onions - 4 lbs
- Water, plus additional as needed - 1 1/2 qt
- Nonfat plain or Greek yogurt - 3 cups
- Hot pepper sauce - 1/2 cup
- Chopped fresh cilantro (As needed) -
1. Combine sweet potatoes, 3/4 cup taco seasoning and oil in large bowl. Toss to coat. Place in single layer on sheet pans. Roast* in oven until tender and lightly browned; stirring and rotating halfway through.
*Roast in convection oven at 400°F; conventional oven 425°F.
2. Meanwhile, brown ground beef and onions, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally until internal temperature reaches160°F*. Remove drippings. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup taco seasoning and 1-1/2 quarts water. Simmer, stirring occasionally.
*Cooking instructions are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
3. Combine beef mixture and potatoes; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, adding small amount water, if needed, to avoid sticking.
Critical Control Point: Heat to 165°F for at least 15 seconds.
Critical Control Point: Hold hot for service at 135°F for up to 2 hours.
4. Combine yogurt and hot sauce in bowl.
Critical Control Point: Hold for service at 40°F or below for up to 2 hours.
5. Portion 1 cup (three #8 scoops). Top with about 1 tablespoon (#70 scoop) yogurt mixture. Garnish with cilantro, as desired.
- Sweet Potato Beef Mash-Up can also be served in whole grain tortillas. Portion 1 cup (three #8 scoops) into 1 tortilla (6 to 7 inch diameter) per serving. Top with about 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture. Garnish with cilantro, as desired.