Bean Burrito Bowl
Recipe Courtesy of Harvest of the Month
Photo Courtesy of USDA: Bean Burrito Bowl
- Local pinto beans, dried, pre-cooked* (4 lb dried beans, uncooked) - 11 lbs
- Fresh onions, chopped - 6 ozs
- Garlic powder - 1 Tbsp
- Ground black pepper - 2 tsps
- Chili powder - 3 Tbsps
- Ground cumin - 2 Tbsps
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Onion powder - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 2 tsps
- Water - 2.25 qts
- Combine beans, onions, garlic powder, pepper, seasonings, first amount of water, and tomato paste in a medium stock pot. Stir well. Simmer over medium heat uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Critical Control Point: Heat to 165°F or higher for 15 seconds.
- Set aside for step 10. Critcal Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135°F.
- Bring second amount of water to a boil.
- Place 1 lb 10 oz brown rice in each steam table pan (12” x 20”x 2½”). (For 50 servings, use 2 pans. For 100 servings, use 4 pans.)
- Pour boiling water (1 qt 3 cups per steam table pan) over brown rice. Stir. Cover pans tightly.
- Bake: Conventional oven: 350°F for 40 minutes. Convection oven: 325°F for 40 minutes. Critical Control Point: Heat to 165 °F or higher
for 15 seconds.
- Remove rice from oven. Fold cilantro into rice. Set aside for assembly.
- First layer: Portion rice mixture with No. 8 scoop (½ cup) in serving bowl.
- Second layer: Portion beans with No. 8 scoop (½ cup).
- Third layer: Portion salsa with No. 16 scoop (¼ cup).
- Garnish each burrito bowl with 1 Tbsp of cheese.
- Serve 1 burrito bowl.
Critical Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
*See Dry Bean Preparation
Meal Pattern Contribution