Actual and essential expenses for State Board members incurred in attending meetings or incurred in the performance of their duties as directed by the State Board of Education as provided in Sections 81-1174 to 81-1177 R.R.S. shall be paid according to rules and procedures established by the Department of Administrative Services for state officials.
In determining proper expense items for members of the State Board of Education, the Board has adopted the following policy in compliance with Section 3 of 79-317 R.R.S.
- Out-of-state travel and conference expenses:
Actual and essential expenses incurred in attending meetings shall be construed to cover all reasonable expenses for such out-of-state meetings.
- Each Board member is limited to two (2) out-of-state events or conferences that serve a direct purpose associated with the State Board and/or Nebraska Department of Education per calendar year unless they are serving in a leadership role representing the State Board of Education or their expenses are covered by the National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) or another organization.
- Attendance should be limited to two (2) Board members at any one national meeting. Additional members may attend if their expenses are covered by NASBE or another organization, or if there are circumstances that warrant permitting additional members to attend and such attendance is approved by the Board.
- Attendance at any out-of-state event must be approved by the Board. Actual and essential expenses for authorized trips that have been approved by the Board will be reimbursed. For any out-of-state event outside the contiguous 48 states, additional justification may be required and must also be approved by the Board.
- Reimbursement for in-state travel expenses is authorized for:
- Regular and special meetings of the Board.
- Hearings conducted before the Board and rule-making hearings conducted by a Department hearing official.
- Hearings of legislative committees on matters concerning the Department of Education.
- Meetings of advisory committees to the Board.
- Meetings and conferences that are Department of Education sponsored events or that are held by organizations that have a direct relationship to the work of the State Board and the Nebraska Department of Education such as: schools, school boards, administrator and teacher organizations, educational service units, postsecondary education, and organizations that serve and support children and schools.
- Any other expense for in-state travel specifically related to Board functions.
- Board members living less than 50 miles away from a one-day meeting or event may not receive reimbursement for lodging unless there are extenuating circumstances such as weather or health reasons.
- Actual and essential expenses and mileage will be reimbursed.
- Reimbursement for other actual and essential expenses:
Reimbursement for other expenses is authorized for: phone, postage and other expenses incurred in connection with statutory duties as a Board member. An itemized statement must accompany every request for reimbursement.
- Reimbursement amounts will be based on I.R.S. Guidelines at www.gsa.gov. and in so far as practicable on the Department’s Administrative Memo #205. I.R.S. Reimbursement Guidelines may be exceeded with a written explanation and approval of the Board President. No reimbursement will be made for alcoholic beverages or for entertainment.
- Reporting Expenses:
Monthly the Board will receive an itemized report on all expenses, except for Board meetings.
- Board Member Reports
Board members will provide a brief report to the Board on meetings that they have attended.
- DAS/Board Policy Review/Approval
All actual and essential expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with Board and DAS policy.
Any publications or equipment purchased for Board members’ use is property of the Department.