School District Budgeting FAQs
What’s new in School District Budgeting for 2022/23
Per LB 644 (2021 Legislature), if a School District increases their Property Tax Request by more than 2% plus growth, they are required to participate in a Joint Public Hearing, and have their information included on a postcard that is sent to all impacted property owners. The District must then:
- Notify County Clerk (of the primary County) by September 5th the need to participate in a Joint Public Hearing.
- The Joint Public Hearing must be scheduled between September 17-28th
- Postcards will be mailed by the County notifying all affected property taxpayers
- The Joint Public Hearing replaces the Final Tax Request hearing
- Board approval of the budget is held separately and takes place after the Joint Public Hearing
- Adopted Budget and required documents must be submitted by Sept 30th.
Important Dates and Date Changes for 2022/23
- See Budget Timeline
- Michelle Cartwright: (402) 450-0867 or email@example.com
- Stephanie DeGroot: (402) 540-0649 or firstname.lastname@example.org