Exempt (Home) School Program
Parents (or guardians) may educate their child at home by electing not to meet State approval or accreditation requirements (Section 79-1601 R.R.S.). In Nebraska, "home schools" are referred to as exempt schools and are considered non-approved or non-accredited schools. By filing for and receiving exempt status, parents are electing not to have their child attend a school that meets State approval and accreditation requirements while also complying with the compulsory school attendance law (Section 79-201 R.R.S.).
Rule 12 and Rule 13 are the rules governing the procedures and standards for parents (or guardians) filing for an exemption, and are the same with the exception of the reason for the exemption and that Rule 12 exempt schools will need to comply with immunization laws.
On the following links are the Frequently Asked Questions document, rules and regulations, a list of private parent support organizations, and the forms to file for an exemption.
- Frequently Asked Questions (2013/14 School Year)
- Rules & Regulations
- Rule 12 [for non-religious reasons] and
- Rule 13 [for religious reasons]
- Resources (private parent support organizations)
Forms for the 2013/14* School Year (pdf format)
Be sure to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document and Rules before completing the forms.
* We will discontinue accepting exemption election documents for the 2013/14 school year on April 15, 2014.
Forms for the 2014/15 School Year
The forms and related information for the 2014/15 school year will be posted on this website by the middle of May.
- Beth Bolte: (402) 471-2795 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micki Iverson: (402) 471-1894 or email@example.com