The agenda is developed by the Commissioner in consultation with the Board President and will contain any item requested by individual Board members.
The Commissioner of Education shall prepare and submit by e-mail to each member of the State Board prior to each meeting of the State Board an advance copy, or a link to the electronic version, of the agenda, outlining matters to be considered by the State Board and such other materials as members have requested be included for consideration.
- To group together routine non-controversial items that do not need separate and individual discussion and action by the Board.
- To expedite the work of the Board and to provide additional time for more substantive items.
- To provide a method for the Board to review and approve renewals of contracts of $50,000 (first-time contracts of $50,000 or more are placed on the agenda as a regular action item).
- The President of the Nebraska State Board of Education and the Commissioner of Education will confer prior to the Board meeting to identify items for the consent agenda.
- Any member of the Board may object to the placement of an item on the consent agenda by informing the President before adoption of the agenda. The item will then be considered independently and after the approval of the consent agenda. If a work session is held, time will be provided to identify items for removal from the consent agenda.
- The Consent Agenda will be moved by a single motion without discussion. A majority vote shall approve the items contained therein.
The agenda, or a link to the electronic version, will be e-mailed at least seven calendar days prior to the meeting. Following the mailing of the agenda, the Board President may approve adding non-emergency items to the agenda upon the request of the Commissioner or any Board member, so long as the addition is made at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. The Commissioner’s Office shall maintain an updated agenda available to the public. The agenda may be altered at any time by a majority of the members present and voting to remove an item from the consent agenda for individual consideration or to add emergency items as provided by state law.