Nebraska Approval Process for Work-Based Learning Strategy Programs
Nebraska school districts conducting programs at the work-based learning strategy level, must meet the following minimum components:
- A teacher with appropriate certification including the work-based learning endorsement to serve as the work-based learning coordinator.
- Instruction is provided by the school district in the technical skill area the student wiII be experiencing in the work-based learning program.
- The student-learner works intermittent, short periods of time under the direct and close supervision of the coordinator.
- Assurance to adhere to Fair Labor Standards Act
- Safety instructions are provided by the school and correlated by the employer with on-the-job-training.
- A schedule of organized and progressive work processes to be performed on the job is prepared.
- Employer agrees to provide training, supervision and adherence to safety protocol.
- Written evaluation of student performance provided by employer and coordinator.
- Pay must be at the minimum wage or training rate wage. Additional requirements are in place for training rate wage.
- Signatures of student, parent, teacher coordinator and employer.
Programs meeting the minimum components allows the student learners to work in those hazardous occupations where exceptions are allowed for student-learners.