Application Packet for School Licensed by Another State Agency

Veterans Links

State of Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs

Veterans Educational Benefits

Military Awards & Medals-replacements for lost medals

National Archives & Records

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Official Federal Government Web Sites Links

Social Security Online

The White House Page

U.S. House of Reps Committee on Vets Affairs

US Army

US Air Force

US Navy

US Marine Corps

US Coast Guard US Department of Defense

Nat’l Center for PTSD

NASAA (National Association of State Approving Agencies)

Institutions & Programs Accredited & Recognized by the United States Department of Education

VA benefits help Veterans take care of family members, buy a home, earn a degree, start a career, stay healthy, and do so much more in life after service. Explore VA today to learn more and apply.

Reminders for School Officials

(To be sent to the State Approving Agency)

  1. EMAIL – send us an email for:
    Change in phone number
    Change in email address
    Change in room numbers, street address, etc.
    Removal of previously approved program or internship course number, etc.
    Addition of a new program
    Revision to existing program (change in length, curriculum, or name)
    Removal of program or other items that are listed on our database (or by email-see 1.a. above)
    Any other request not listed above
  4. Catalogs – must have certification statement on cover of each catalog (see below)
    Four hard copies or
    Two CDs
  5. Schedules: Three copies of each term schedule offered (need not certify).

Certification Statement:
I certify this catalog to be true and correct in contents and policies.
___________________ ___
School Official Signature Title

Licensure and Certification Test

Veteran’s Education – Licensure and Certification Test Benefits

You may be able receive Montgomery G.I. Bill reimbursement for licensing and certification tests.  The tests must be approved for the G.I. Bill.  The Nebraska State Approving Agency (Nebraska Department of Education) is the entity that approves such licensing and certification tests.

  • A licensing test is a test offered by a state, local or federal agency required by law to practice an occupation. Some states may refer to such tests as “certification” tests.
  • A certification test is a test designed to provide an affirmation of an individual’s qualifications in a specified occupation. Certification is not required to practice an occupation except where the occupational licensing requirements include certification as part of those requirements.
  • Maximum Payment: The maximum payment per test is $2,000. There is no limitation of the number of tests that may be taken except that an individual may not exceed his or her maximum entitlement.  The VA will not issue reimbursement for other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.

Veterans and eligible persons may call the VA to determine entitlement by calling toll free at: 888-442-4551 or by visiting

Download and submit VA Form 22-0803 for test reimbursement

Organizations seeking Test Approval

If your organization offers licensing or certification tests, we encourage you to request approval of your tests so that veterans and other beneficiaries may receive reimbursement.  Your participation in this program will be doing our nation’s veterans a big favor.  All payments will be sent directly to the VA beneficiaries.

To apply for approval of licensing and certification tests, organizations may call the Nebraska Department of Education at:
402-471-4826 or complete the following application.

OJT Apprenticeship

Veterans’ Education & Training/On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeship

If you are a veteran, National Guard member, selected reservist or an eligible dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible to receive a monthly educational benefit from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

What Is On-the-Job Training?
On-the-Job Training (OJT) is training you receive while actually performing a job and earning wages. Approvable OJT programs must be at least six months and up to two years in length. Some examples of OJT programs are: welder, painter, cook, production equipment mechanic, auto mechanic, corrections officer, and parts buyer.

What Is Apprenticeship Training?
Apprenticeship training is on-the-job training, coupled with 144 hours (minimum) per year of related technical instruction. You receive your GI Bill benefit while working full time and earning wages. Apprenticeships are normally from two to five years in length. Registration with the Bureau of apprenticeship and Training is not mandatory for veteran benefits; however, it is recommended in order for the veteran to receive journeyman’s papers upon successful completion. Some examples of apprenticeship training programs are: electrician, ironworker, roofer, plumber, and sheet metal worker. (These are not inclusive listings.)

Time Limits
Approval of a program may be backdated up to one year. As a general rule, veterans have 10 years after their separation from service to use their GI Bill benefit. Chapter 34 GI Bill (Vietnam era) ended on December 31, 1989; however, some Chapter 34 veterans are eligible for benefits under Chapter 30. Contact the Veterans Affairs office to determine eligibility.

How to Begin

  1. Obtain employment.  If you need assistance you may want to contact the Nebraska Department of Labor or visit their website at :
  2. Contact the Veterans Affairs office at (888) 442-4551 or online at to determine your eligibility and to obtain the necessary application forms.
  3. Next, have your employer contact the State Approving Agency, 402-471-4826, so that the necessary steps can be taken to approve the training program. Keep in mind that not all occupations can be approved. Contact the State Approving Agency for more information.

New Program Packet


Certificate to Recruit (inaugural)Packet for Out-of-State Schools

Certificate to Recruit (inaugural) Out-of-State School


License Packet (renewal) School Located in Nebraska




Certificate to Recruit (renewal) Packet for Out-of-State Schools

Certificate to Recruit (Renewal)

License Packet (inaugural) School Located in Nebraska