Toolkit for ESSA
Stakeholder Engagement Sessions: Toolkit for Facilitators
The documents included on this page are designed to assist you with engaging stakeholders across our state. You will be able to access a brief history of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and several activities centered around the themes of equity, effective educators and a well-rounded education. A Facilitator’s Guide, PowerPoint, definition of terms related to district and school classification are also included, and more.
We appreciate your efforts to engage as many across our state as possible in conversations and discussions. We hope each stakeholder can provide input and feedback to the Nebraska Department of Education. Our goal is that all Nebraskans are aware of, and share, the strategic priorities of our State Board of Education to ensure the earning, learning and living of all Nebraskans. Thanks for your help!
Elementary Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility
Nebraska’s Waiver from NCLB
Nebraska’s written request for ESEA Flexibility shifts the focus of accountability and gives us a more robust picture of what our students can do. It is an opportunity to outline our goals, create a shared vision and tell our Nebraska story. The link to the waiver can be found here.
The ESEA Flexibility request has three primary principles and a broader goal of reducing government burden on districts, teachers, and most of all students.
These principles are:
Principle 1: College and Career Ready Expectations for All Students:
- Rigorous Expectations and Standards
- Learner Focused
- Increase Collaboration with Colleges and Universities
- Annual, Statewide, Aligned, High Quality Assessments that Measure Student Growth
Principle 2: State Developed Differentiated Recognition, Accountability, and Support (AQuESTT—A Quality Education System Today and Tomorrow):
- Annual Measurable Outcomes
- Equity and Access for all Learners
- Recognition and Celebration of Success
- Network of Teachers and Learners (Communities of Practice)
- Support for Schools’ Continuous Improvement
- Data Informed Decision Making
Principle 3: Support Effective Instruction and Leadership:
- Timely Evaluation and Feedback for Teachers and Principals
- Professional Learning and Development
- Dynamic Learning Environments
- Differentiated Student Learning Objectives