Asparagus With New Potatoes
Recipe Courtesy of Pexels
Photo Courtesy of Harvest of the Month
- Local asparagus, diced, ends removed - 4 lbs
- Water - 2 Gals
- Red potatoes, unpeeled, diced ½" - 4 lbs
- Margarine, trans fat-free - 4 ozs
- Fresh onions, diced - 8 ozs
- Garlic, dried, minced - 2 Tbsps
- Ground thyme - 1 tsp
- Ground black pepper - 1 tsp
- Onion powder - 1 tsp
- In a large stock pot, add water, asparagus, potatoes, margarine, onions, garlic, thyme, pepper, and onion powder. Cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Stir well. About half of the water will remain in the pot, while the rest will cook away.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK. Asparagus should be bright green.
- Critical Control Point: Heat to 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
- Pour 2 qts 3 cups (about 5 lbs 6 ½ oz) asparagus, potato mixture into a large steam table pan (12″ x 20″ x 2 ½”). For 50 servings, use 2 pans.
- Serve ½ cup portions using a 4 oz spoodle or an #8 scoop.
Critical Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
50 servings makes 11 lbs
Meal Pattern Contribution