Nebraska Farm to School Month
October is National Farm to School Month!
Nebraska is participating in the multi-state CRUNCH OFF with Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming. Join efforts to help Nebraska win the Crunch Off trophy by registering your Crunch at this link! Plan to Crunch into an apple (or other “crunchable” fruit or vegetable) on October 24th or another date in October. The state that gets the most “CRUNCHES” per capita by biting into local, crunchy fruits and vegetables, will win the 2019 Crunch Off Competition. Join students, teachers, farmers, parents, community members and local food enthusiasts in celebrating farm to school month and the seasonally available produce offered in Nebraska.
Steps to Get Started
Access the full Crunch Off toolkit with ideas and resources after you’ve registered your Crunch Off event!
- Register for the 2019 Mountain Plains Crunch Off! You’ll receive a free toolkit upon registering. Kits are available in Spanish and English.
- Create a Crunch Team!
- Decide what you will crunch and where you will get it from!
- Create your Crunch plan! See ideas below for pairing the Crunch Off with other local farm to school programs
- Promote your Crunch event! Share with the region on Facebook that you’ll be participating, https://www.facebook.com/events/1019135148459138/ and then feel free to create your own facebook event for your district!
Where to find LOCAL apples or crunch-worthy produce
Check out our ideas for finding local on the NDE Farm to School Resources page
- Explore the Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska Online Food Guide…. Reach out directly to anyone listed in that guide
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture Produce Grower & Farmers Market Finder…. Visit your local farmers’ market, or directly contact the Market Manager to see about what connections you can make to growers in your community
- Purchase from local producers through your broadline distributor, or through a local foods distributor like Lone Tree Foods, Nebraska Food Cooperative, or Farm Table Delivery
- Review these stories about Nebraska schools and producers that are invested in farm to school
Crunch Off with Nebraska Thursdays or Nebraska Harvest of the Month!
- Celebrate Nebraska Thursdays on October 24th and add your local Crunch Off product into your menu!
- Apply for a Nebraska Thursdays mini-grant by August 30th and use the funds to promote your Crunch Off event in tandem with Nebraska Thursdays!
- Crunch with Harvest of the Month! Try a local salad turnip or a crunchy cabbage coleslaw. Build momentum for your Crunch Off event by sending home a Harvest of the Month newsletter available on the Harvest of the Month webpage.
- Register for Nebraska Thursdays and visit our recipe portal for a hummus recipe (uses local dry beans!) that you can dip Crunch items into.
- Download the Harvest of the Month Taste Test Guide for tips on sampling your Crunch Off item prior to the big day.
- See what’s in season in Nebraska, and crunch-able, with our handy guide!
- Check out the resources available at National Farm to School Network.
CRUNCH Into Local Produce
Try these delicious dips with your crunchable foods! Find more ideas in our Nebraska Thursdays recipe portal.