What if the arrest was in a different state?

If the action violated a felony statute or if the elements of the crime would be the equivalent of one of the crimes listed in Rule 21 at Section 003.12, then a Complaint would be required to be filed. If you do not know whether the charges would qualify, you should file a Complaint and allow the Certification Investigations office to investigate to determine whether the alleged acts would qualify as a violation. See question regarding reporting specific crimes.