Our district is self-funded for health insurance. How should we code health insurance claims and other expenses for our covered employees?
The Employee Benefit Fund (Fund 03) should be used for these types of expenditures so you’re not using spending authority out of the General Fund.
To record employee health insurance claims, use the object code series 28X (Health Benefits) and prorate the expenses among the different employee classes:
- 280 Non-Instructional Staff
- 281 Teacher/Professional Staff
- 282 Instructional Aides & Assistants
- 283 Substitute Teachers
- 284 Technical Staff
- 285 Superintendent/ESU Administrator
- 286 Professional Non-Certificated Staff
To record the payment of reinsurance premiums, use object code 340 (Other Professional Services).