How do we code for paying out our teachers for their unused sick/discretionary days? Would unused vacation days be handled the same?

You would want to use Object Code series 15X – Additional Compensation.  Since you’re coding for teachers, the actual object code would be 151.  The function code would be for either for 11XX for Regular Ed teachers or 12XX for SPED teachers.  If this is for an administrator such as a Principal, the function code would be 2410 – Office of the Principal.   You’d use the same function code that is used to record their regular salary.

If you’re paying out an employee for their unused vacation days, you would also use the 15X series – Additional Compensation.