Guidelines & Application
All state and federal child labor laws must be followed for learners under the age of 18. These requirements are defined in the Nebraska Work Based Learning (WBL) Manual, Legal Issues Guide in Part IX.
To obtain more information about the Work Experience and Career Exploration Program (WECEP), see Chapter VII, Section I, of the WBL Manual.
Visit the resources section to download the manual
To become eligible to offer WECEP to at-risk youth in Nebraska, a Local Education Association (LEA) must complete and submit application for approval to Greg Stahr, Nebraska Department of Education, 301 Centennial Mall South, PO Box 94987 Lincoln, NE 68509-4987. Phone: (402) 471-0898
Directions for Submitting Application
- Complete and forward two copies of the application to to Greg Stahr, Nebraska Department of Education, 301 Centennial Mall South, PO Box 94987 Lincoln, NE 68509-4987. Retain one copy at the Local Education Association.
- Obtain an original signature on the cover page of both copies.
- Make application for Employment Certificates and file with the Child Labor Office, Nebraska Department of Labor, 5404 Cedar Street, 3rd Floor, Omaha, NE 68106.
Standards for establishment
Standards for establishment of WECEP in Nebraska schools have been established in the following areas:
- local WECEP goals/intent
- school facilities
- student enrollment requirements
- instructional program
- teacher-coordinator qualifications/responsibilities
- student transportation
- written training agreements
- written training plans
Applications must include a written plan for each of the nine standards.