National School Lunch Program - NSLP
Forms & Resource Center
School Local Wellness Policy Resources
Each local educational agency that participates in the National School Lunch Program or other federal Child Nutrition programs is required by federal law to establish a local school wellness policy for all schools under its jurisdiction.
Local wellness policies are an important tool for parents, local educational agencies (LEAs) and school districts in promoting student wellness, preventing and reducing childhood obesity, and providing assurance that school meal nutrition guidelines meet the minimum federal school meal standards.
- As of School Year 2006-2007, all districts were required to establish a local school wellness policy.
- For School Year 2013-2014, LEAs are encouraged to continue reviewing and assessing their local wellness policies and implementing the new requirements. State agencies will be reviewing the Wellness Policy during the Administrative Review, and LEAs will be held accountable for local school wellness policy implementation, assessment, and public updates.
- Local School Wellness Policy Requirements USDA FNS Website
- Wellness Policy Guidelines Overview: Elements of Implementation..pdf
- School Wellness Policy Elements.ppt
- Local School Wellness Policies: Overview and Action Steps.pdf